-->

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Give A Girl A Break


A woman resting in her Ugg boots and with a cup of coffee




Title: Give A Girl A Break!
Date: 2011 & 2013
Size: 18" X 24" (45.7cm X 60.9cm) Deep Edge Canvas - No need for framing. Sides painted in Deep Black.
Medium: Oil
Artist: L. E. Gav Thorpe

Price: £199.00
A close up of the painting Give A Girl A Break!

For the past week I have been working on and updating this painting from 2011 called Gimme a Break!
As I've had this painting hanging on my studio wall I've begun to see that there were many problems with it and as time as gone by I've been thinking of how to change it and how to ultimately improve the look and appearance.
A close up of the painting Give A Girl A Break!

I firstly wanted to change to background colours, which were shades of ghastly green and yellow. I remember that I achieved the patchy look in the green area which a hog hair stipple brush, but none the less I don't like the colour arrangements in this painting, so I decided to change it.

I finally settled on a pale blue and pink shade for the background 
A close up of the painting Give A Girl A Break!and once that was achieved, I wanted to add other elements to emphasise the fact that she was having a break.

I decided to add a mug or cup. So rather than have her arm hanging to the side, I made it that she was holding the mug and resting her arm on her knee.

The other thing that I added was the black court shoes. I thought about this and wondered maybe the woman in the image was resting and wearing her Ugg boots now because she had already spent the best part of the day walking around in heels.




This is what the painting looked like before I made any changes.

Share This...